Friday, August 19, 2011

RWW-Austin, TX July 2011

RWW: Returning Warrior Workshop - Returning Warrior Workshops (RWWs) are a key component of the Department of Defense Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. Designed to honor Sailors who have completed an Individual Augmentee (IA) assignment in combat zones or those Sailors exposed to highly stressful situations during deployment, the RWW addresses personal stress generated by deployment activities. Although a Reserve Component event, Active Components are strongly encouraged to participate.

My husband is a big advocate for family workshops when it comes to dealing with deployments. A representative came to my husbands unit and he jumped all over it. We really did not know what to expect but boy were we impressed and highly recommend it to those who are ever presented the opportunity. All expense paid trip for the Sailor and a guest (whether it be a significant other or a friend that truly supported them through this hard time). We applied to the the one in Austin, TX. In the midst of summer, July is not a time to visit the East side of Texas. With temps in the 100's, 75% humidity you can imagine that staying in doors is all we wanted to do. But we did get out. We were able to visit the Capitol, 6th Street, and other parts of town. Luckily, the hubs had family in town so we were able to site see in the 3 days that we were there.

In the 3 day that we were there, they provided a lot of presentations from various speakers that were also sent to a combat zone. In terms of being the supporter of my sailor, with these presentation, it gave me a better insight on how my husband was feeling and ways to deal with it as a supporter of what they called my "warrior" It also gave an assurance that my husband was not the only one feeling they way he felt when returning back to the "civilian life". I really enjoyed it and got to meet other really good people from all walks of life. It made me and my husband that much closer and I would do another one if we were given the opportunity.

Its not easy having a loved one shipped over seas. But with this workshop, we were given tools and technique as a starter to getting back to where we wanted to be not only as a couple but as a family. I am proud of my Sailor and thank all those who sacrifice the ultimate most to serve their county. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment